Main Texts: 2Cor 12:1-10 (NLT), Eph 4:7
During this time of covid-19, and beyond the Lord is telling us His grace is sufficient for us.
- God did not design life for it to be difficult or struggling. We are only missing the ingredients
- What you don’t know, and what you don’t have make life a burden and not a blessing.
- What you know or have that is also not activated or put to use deprives you of a blessing.
- God says His grace is sufficient for you, activate it and put it to use, because grace is what you need for the race be it your faith, marriage, education, career, ministry, business etc.
- If Jesus was full of grace (John 1:14) we also ought to be full of the same grace.
- You are what you are because of God’s grace (1Cor 15:10)
- Grace is soo important that in the priestly blessing over the people ‘the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you. Number 6:25.
What Is Grace
Dictionary Def: smoothness and elegance of movement.
In Hebrew (chesed) – meaning deliverance from enemies, affliction or adversity. It also means enablement, daily guidance, forgiveness and preservation
New Testament – Greek (charis) – means provision of salvation, favour, blessing and gifts.
The unmerited favour of God, that something we did not deserve but God gave us because of the benevolence of his love. It is the divine influence upon the heart, and its reflection in the life.
Looking at these definitions I have personally concluded the grace is Gods ability to help us do what under normal circumstances we wouldn’t have been able to do.
Kinds / Types of Grace
The grace of God is manifested in two ways has defined by W. Grudem (Theologian)
- Common Grace – the common grace is the grace of God by which he gives people innumerable blessings that are not part of salvation. Eg: Giving rain, sunshine etc to all. Matt 5:43-45.
- Saving Grace – this is the grace that leads us to salvation and this salvation leads us to eternal life. Eph 1:6-7, 2:5-10.
- Charisma Grace – This is most often translated ‘gift’in the Bible. This is unmerited favour or grace made specific. 1Cor 12:4-11.
- Strengthening (Ability) Grace – Phil 4:13, Luke 22:43
What Grace Does
- Brings Salvation – Titus 2:11
- Gives you gifts of the Spirit – 1Cor 12:4-11
- Helps you to say no to ungodliness and worldly passion. Titus 2:12
- Helps you to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives. Titus 2:12
- Helps you in the time of need – Hebrews 4:16
- It gives you the ability to do what under normal circumstances you can’t do. That is why God told Paul my grace is sufficient (enough, adequate, abundant) for you.:
The grace helps you:
- to live up to expectation,
- to excel,
- to finish and complete and be said well done like Jesus and Paul
- to plant and to water,
- to preach & teach,
- to heal & deliver,
- to handle all manner of issues, situations, circumstances,
- to live with all kinds of people & temperaments,
- to fulfil purpose, mission and assignment in life,
- to marry and train children,
- to stand (Romans 5:2),
- to intercede,
- to be generous,
- to break evil altars (like Gideon)
- to receive visions and revelations like Paul
These are specific graces and when you have them in sufficiency you can say what Jesus said ‘It is finished’- John19:30 and what Paul also said ‘I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith 2Tim 4:17
How To Receive & Enjoy Sufficient Grace – Note: Grace is not earned but you can have more grace.
- Be Humble – James 4:6
- Don’t entertain sin – Rom 6:1-2
- Ask God For That Particular Grace – 1Peter 5:10-11
- Listen & obey instructions & God’ word – Proverbs 1:8-9
- Value and honour the grace on others.
The grace of God makes life worth living. Don’t struggle to make it in life, just flow in his grace to make it in life. Don’t treat the grace anyhow, work hard with it (Ro 6:1, 1Cor 15:10). Just as the book of Revelation ends with grace statement, I end by saying ‘the grace of our Lord Jesus be with God’s people. Amen